NOTICE TO MARINERS
Mariners entering Blakeney Harbour should note that a new entrance channel has now opened up from Blakeney Bar into the harbour. The entrance channel now runs WEST of the Hjordis wreck beacon (and positioned N 52° 59.018’. E 000° 58.144’). The previous entrance channel, to the East of the Hjordis beacon, should no longer be used, due to considerable new siltation which has occurred across the entrance.
Vessels entering Blakeney Harbour should now head ESE from Blakeney Bar (avoiding breaking water) directly to starboard Harbour Entrance buoy No. 3 (positioned N 52° 58.866’. E 000° 57.792’), and then follow the buoys into the harbour as previously.
Mariners should also note:
- if entering the harbour for the first time, please contact Charlie Ward (01263-740377 or 07771597985) for up to date information relating to pilotage and swell conditions at the harbour entrance.
- do not attempt entry more than 2.5hrs before HW to 2.5hrs after HW. Deep draft vessels should however seek advice regarding safe entry timing.
- do not attempt entry at night until Spring 2020, when lit buoys will be positioned marking the new entrance channel.
- Harbour Entrance buoys No’s 1 and 2 should now be ignored. They will be removed as soon as conditions allow, and repositioned in Spring 2020.
- Blakeney Fairway buoy still indicates safe water anchorage for vessels waiting to enter the harbour, but should not be used as a navigation mark for harbour entry. This buoy will also be re-positioned during Spring 2020.
Blakeney Harbour Association
November 27th 2019